Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Why I Won't do the ALS #IceBucket Challenge (Even if I'm Nominated)

***Disclaimer***: Please do not send me hateful emails/comments. I don't want nasty comments, on this blog. I am not a bad person; please hear (or read) me out!

Yes, I will get to my weekend post. I promise. There are a few posts that have been floating around in my mind the last few days, and this is one of them. I want to write them out, before I forget on what they are and on how I want to say them.

Unless you've been living under a rock the last month (even if you don't have any type of social media app/page), you are aware of the #IceBucket challenge going on for ALS. I was actually GOING to participate in this challenge until my Facebook friend (then others) posted this on her page. It had me thinking.

I had to admit, that when I saw it, it changed my mind about it. Now, please don't get me wrong, I am all for doing research on and for different diseases. I have a friend who has ALS, and like I said, I was planning on doing if I were to be challenged, but then after reading this, it got me thinking (ok, maybe I am easily swayed and I am not strong in what I believe in. Maybe that makes me a bad person. I don't know.); ALS isn't the only disease that a) gets money for research, on a continuous basis, b) needs money for research, and c) could use some more knowledge and shedding of light on a disease. What about PBC (which is a not known about disease), PCOS, Infertility, etc (ok, these are all things that hubby and I have; so sue us). What about baby loss; miscarriage, still birth, or the many disease that will mean the baby will not live outside of the mommy's womb? What about the CF gene? What about the male cancers? There are SO MANY that are talked about? Another thing that I didn't like about it was on how it brought attention to ourselves. Yes, it is bringing people (Hollywood actors, Politicos, etc), and it IS shedding light on this disease, but on the other hand, I also believe that it is giving people the wrong kind of gratitude. 


There is also the other little resource they are using: Water. Now, I am no conservationist, or environmentalist, but wasting water? At least dump on grass or soil. There are SO MANY people without clean water in parts of the world, and we take wasting water for granted? Ummm..something is clearly wrong with this picture.




These are a few of the memes (or whatever you call them these days) that I found floating around Facebook. And my 2 cents, for what they're worth.

No comments:

A Little Catch Up & A Small Rant(and a Surprise!)

Howdy! Well, as my aunt says, "I'm so far behind, I'm ahead", so I think I will take a page from her play book and just st...