The "Sick" Christmas (of) 2016

I cannot believe that I had over 2 weeks off from work, and I only blogged once! You would think I was busy or something! I see that the Five on Friday posts are happening, but I think I will wait and post next week. I/we had a pretty good Christmas! I would give it a 8 out of 10. Or maybe a 9 out of 10. Ha! Seriously, though, we had a great time.

I spent most of my holidays sleeping, eating, cleaning out our fridge/kitchen/microwave, going for coffee, meeting with friends, burning candles, drinking, hanging with family, tobogganing, baking, watching Christmas movies (watching way too much TV, as usual), going to the library, listening to Christmas music, sleeping (oh, I already mentioned that??), driving through the snow, shovelling snow (ok, that was today, but still), trying very hard to NOT get sick, shopping at the last minute for Christmas gifts, shopping with hubby, tracking Santa, reading magazines,updating my IG (and spending way too much time on FB/Twitter, in general), calling family, and well, that is all...I think!

I won't do a daily play-by-play, bc, well, that would take forever, and be boring! I will give you the highlights, however.

Dec 16 was the last day of school. We had PJ day, and had lots of snacks, and watched movies. I got so many gifts from the students' parents, which was really sweet.

The next day, it snowed pretty much all day. I picked up Isaac from the airport, and we went to McD's for coffee and waiting for our other brother to pick him up. I would post the selfie of us, but I don't look very good.

I went to church on December 18th, and then ran a few errands,went stopped by at my boss' house for a bit, as he and his wife were having a Christmas Open House, and invited people from work, their friends, etc. I stayed there for an hour or so, and got to meet some people, then came home. I helped with nursery, so I kind of had to go (yes, I actually braved the roads and rove up the hill!). The next week, we just hung out, relaxed, and did a lot of the stuff that I mentioned above. I spent an evening of watching Christmas episodes of FRIENDS and BBT. I never did watch The Nativity Story this year. I did, however manage to get a few days of Christmas devos in. I had two days of being very productive, which made me feel good about myself. On Dec 23, H came over to bake cookies with me. We also watched movies and had snacks. H had a fun time, and I enjoyed spending some time with him, and his parents enjoyed the afternoon at the movies. Christmas Eve, Anker and I ran out and got last minute Christmas gifts. We didn't end up going to Vancouver Island, as we didn't have the money, and Anker got a cold. I am glad that we didn't go, as we had more money for gifts, but we were also sad, b/c we were both looking forward to it. After getting the gifts, I gift-bagged them, and then we spent the evening together. I think we watched something. I can't remember. We ended up opening our gifts (a European tradition), and by opening, I mean we took them out of the bag. Yes, I bought my own gifts. It is what is is. I got a few things from the dollar store for myself, and I got Anker some socks and some re-usable hand warmers, and some Brandy Beans. We watched SULLY, which we thought was pretty good, Anker went to bed, and I spent the evening washing up, packing, icing the rest of the cookies, tracking Santa, and I spent time gazing at the tree. I stayed up until 1:45 am (true freaking-story!!). I had a really fun Christmas Eve.

Christmas Day, we woke up early, and got ready to leave. K and A had invited us for Christmas morning brunch, and I am really glad we went. Anker helped H put together some of his Lego he got for Christmas, and we had a lovely time together. K made an amazing Baked French Toast was SO good! At around noon, we set off for the ranch. We visited, for awhile, then we opened gifts. We had Mexican for supper that night, which was a howling success! We had something like 20 people for dinner. Because Christmas was on a Sunday, not only do we all go to church, but Dad is a minister of that church, so Mom didn't want to be dealing with turkey and a big meal (trust me.. we have done this before...which may or may not have included a broken oven, cooking turkey in a microwave/convection oven.., and it's not fun!), as well as opening gift, and we family coming in from out of town. I think it also had to do with Mom and Dad having just gotten back from Mexico :) We had enchiladas, a taco salad, a green salad, of course, chips and salsa! It was all SO GOOD. We just relaxed afterwards, and played games, and visited. I think H and I started a game of Battleship.

Boxing Day, I helped get the dinner on, and hung out. I think we watched some HERBIE movies (Anker's sister gave him the four dvd set for Christmas), which H loved. We had a wonderful Turkey Dinner (Anker and I brought green salad for both meals), complete with Plum Pudding. Oh, my goodness! When I die, I want to be covered in plum pudding sauce and whipped cream. Y'all, it is AMAZING!!! Seriously, is very good. I may or may not have had seconds. We played a game, and then visited, and some of them watched Magnificent 7, and I went back to my aunt and uncle's (where we were staying), as I wasn't feeling great (I just needed a break from people), where I read and called my cousin. Tuesday, the 27th, we all hung out and did various things. It was also the morning that one of the Aunties woke up feeling ill. The day before, Uncle T had missed our turkey dinner, as he had a cold/flu combo.Mom and I went for a drive the country store to grab a few things, and we had a nice short visit. We said out goodbyes to S&N, and went about our various winter activities (reading, eating, watching TV). I ended up going sledding with A, K, and H. Wowza...was that a work out! I hadn't tobogganed in YEARS! I had fun time, but came back COLD!!! Tuesday evening, we all just sat around and (guess what?) ate, watched TV, and visited. Ha! Actually, I only read one worldly magazine while I was there and I read three Guideposts (my aunt gives them to me every Christmas, and I try to give them back to her to read)! So, that is a total of 1,000 magazines, and 0 books read in 2016! Meh, what can you do? K and I were good daughters and did dishes twice on Tuesday.

On Wednesday morning, Anker and I were still debating about staying another day, when, the moment we arrived at my parents', H (in a typical young boy fashion) stated "Gramma, and Daddy are sick. They threw up!" It was then we decided to say "buh-bye!" and, after a quick breakfast, visit, and Dad saying that we didn't have to head off so quick (oh,but we did..there was a plague up on the house!!), we were on our merry way.

                                                         I think these are hysterical!!
The roads were wonderful (both there and back!), and we got home around 1 or so. I went to the library, and ran errands. The 29th-31st, I did library runs, relaxed, watched movies and tv (one day I watched 5 episodes of Y&R), and generally wasted the days away. NYE, Anker and I ran out and got a few fun foods for that night. We got back just as it started snowing. We ended up watching Ben-Hur, which was actually pretty good (the new movie), and we got caught up on 3 missed episodes of Code Black. Anker went to be around 10, and I stayed up until way past midnight. It was also during last week, that I got a tad sick. No throwing up, mind you, buuuut sick enough that I didn't go out on Friday evening with my friend, nor did I want to eat much during the wk. Even Anker got a tad sick. I DID manage to make a few coffee runs in btwn getting sick. K also got sick, as did the other one of the uncles, H, and also brother J. Hence the title of this post..."sick" as in people got sick, and "sick", as in it was a cool/awesome Christmas! Pretty sick, huh? :)

NYD, I decided to stay home. I was actually planning on going to church, but btwn my not fully feeling well, the roads (the snowstorm we had the night before) being what they were, and my sleeping in, I decided to stay home. I DID end up going out around 1, and I met my friend for coffee, and some shopping at the drugstore, and then came home. A and H came over for an hour or so Sunday afternoon/evening. Anker and I just hung out in the evening. Monday was the last day off for me, and I had every intention of staying in my jammies, for at least most of it, but I ended up visiting with A and K for a bit, then went to Wal-Mart. First though, Anker and I chatted for a bit, and we watched the last bit of the Rose Bowl Parade. In the evening, we just hung out. I started on "American Crime Story: The People VS OJ Simpson" last night, and so far, it is really good. It is due back at the library tomorrow, but I think I will try to watch it all (or at least most of it) before returning it.

So, those were my holidays!!! I will probably do a picture post tomorrow (or maybe this wknd), but as I want to get this published, I will post this now, and add pics either to this later, or as another post. I hope that everyone has a wonderful 2017!!


Popular posts from this blog

Five on Friday/Life Catch Up

Five on Friday (And Happy New Year)!!!

Five on Friday!