Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Why Dancing, Makeup, Bikinis, Pageants, and Some Clothes are Dangerous for Kids

What do Wayfair, the Super Bowl, various award shows, Disney, Hollywood, and other sporting events have in common?

These events are HOT BEDS for sex trafficking!!! They live, breathe and drink it! There are many subliminal messages hidden in Disney and "family movies". If not to "lure" and "groom" your kids, at the very least, they send them hidden messages. Messages that kids don't need.

Then, there's the whole Hollywood/performer end of things. There are THOUSANDS of Hollywood actresses' (and actors), and celebrities whose photos on Social Media are chock FULL of sexual and provocatively. Look at the singers at the Super Bowl? JLo in a cage, and Shakira dancing and flailing about? Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, Ariana Grande? Our kids see, hear and look up to them. Essentially, they are selling sex, all in the name of "art".

Here are some other scenarios that I see ALL the time on social media and in person;

A young girl, about 6 or 7 sits on the beach in her bikini.

A 10 year old has heavy make up on, and herself throwing her self on stage, all in the name of "dance".

A teen girl wears short shorts and a crop top.

A young girl "cheers" her way around the stadium.

An 8 yr old girl wears heavy make up, and a splashy outfit, while dancing on stage on her way to "win" the next pageant.
 
A young boy begins modelling in not so appropriate poses and outfits.

Two young brothers start a "Tick Tok" account.

These things, in my opinion, are the makings of 1) Immodesty of children (esp girls, and young women), and 2) kids being lured into sex trafficking, or at the very "least"; sexual predators online.

Please don't think that I think should dress like they are in a cult; fully clothed from head to toe. I don't don't even know what the "best" way to clothe your kids is. And, to be fair, sex traffickers/offenders don't really care how your kids dress; if they see your child, and want your child, they will find ways to get your child; however, there ARE ways to LESSEN that opportunity, and have your kids exploited on on "display".

In order to lessen the degree of online (or kidnapping) sexual abuse and predators online, there are ways to protect your kids:

Do not let them have ANY access to ANY Social Media platform; Pinterest (yes, even PT), FB, Snapchat, TickTok, IG, YT, and whatever other platforms there are. Kids under 15 DO NOT need a YT channel, an IG account, or SnapChat. I know that kids think they "need" a phone, and some sort of SM account, b/c all of their friends have one, but in all honesty, they don't. First off, they just don't need it. More screen time, useless time wasters, etc. I actually think that no child under 18 should have one, but I can see where and when a an older teen would want one (SM account/phone).  Now, please don't get me wrong; there are lots of GOOD, WHOLESOME, USEFUL and EDUCATION videos on most platforms. I know that there are parents and kids who have (and view) videos, and there are cases for doing these. But the key thing is that you're with your child while they make and view the videos. A blog mom who I follow  has made a YT account with her girls; they has control on what they do, say, and I am pretty sure she is in them as well. Again, YOU NEED to be with (or at least near) your child at ALL TIMES; this includes while they make (which is hopefully an educational/how-to, etc) and view videos! If your older teen gets a social media account, FOLLOW THEM! It is probably best to have your teen have a private account as well.When your kids who are wanting/needing access to iPad or the Internet for projects, make sure you are very near by; have the device near where you can see it/them. While growing up, my parents always had us be in the dining room or kitchen while working on the laptop or desk top :) Make sure your parental controls are on. I hear there are apps that parents can have, where they can track where and what their child is doing online, if your child has an iPhone or Android. I really only think that kids need a flip phone, anyway. 

I don't even feel that kids should play online games. You don't know what kind of friends your child is making online. Which brings me to another thing (which is similar to above); monitor your kids' online activities. I have already said this, but this is more the "social" aspect of it; watch what your kids are doing online; monitor what friends they make online. Don't assume that they are talking with their friends....this is how predators make their way into kids' lives. Monitor their IRL friendships as well. Who are they spending time with? Where do they go after school? Do they go to sleep overs?

Do not let your kids dance. Obviously, dancing for the Lord (and dance troops) is/are ok, but that should be under and adult's supervision, filled with skills and prevision.  I am less leery of kids being in Ballet, and there are probably less others out there that are less sexual. I would also suggest that you put little to know make up on them. And, for the love of everything, put some clothes on them! If you want your kids to have some make up on during the performance, then put it on right before they go on, and right after they get off. And they don't need the dark makeup on, either.

There are even some sports that I don't think that kids shouldn't be in; figure skating, for one (though I will have to admit, I wanted to be a figure skater when I was a kid!); gymnastics (obviously, I am talking about the upper level platforms, the lower level isn't as competitive, and the kids aren't as "made up") Once they get into major competition in these kinds of sports, that is when things get tough; make up, too little clothes, etc, not to mention what else happens (abuse, unhealthy practices, and poor self esteem). 

I feel that children shouldn't do cheerleading. This breeds so many problems, I don't even know where to begin. Makeup, skimpy outfits, and who knows what else.

Kids shouldn't do pageants. This is probably the worse thing that a child can do. Yah, no...let's just not go there!

Again, I am not saying that kids only need to go to Bible Studies and Youth Group; nor am I saying that kids can't do ANYTHING! There are TONS of things children can do! MOST sports, SOME screen/iPad time, reading real books, learn an instrument, garden, cooking, baking.  am saying that kids can do most anything, as long as it doesn't involve a lot of (unsupervised) screen time, social media, make up, throwing themselves around, and/or skimpy clothing. I just feel that these things can lead to immodesty, and more importantly, abuse, bullying, etc. 

Put a one piece (or, at the very least, a tankini) on your girl, and make sure your boys have decent swim shorts. Yes, allow your girls to try on make up and your fun clothes...but don't let them out of the house with them on.

I am not saying that you are a bad a parent if you allow your kids to do these things; I am not saying that you are a bad Christian/Faith-based parents if you are ok with these things. I just feel that allowing your child to do any or all of these things CAN breed a host of symptoms, and allow for predators to lure their way into your children's lives.

I know that I am not a parent, nor am I an expert, but I read, I watch, I listen. I talk with parents about these issues. There are kids being trafficked, bullied, and abused IN THEIR OWN HOME; right under their parents' noses! I am asking you to open your eyes; don't bury you head in the sand. Human trafficking is a very real thing! Observe your kids; talk to them; ask them questions. Get to know your kids, have conversations with them. Together, we can ALL end human trafficking, (online) bullying, and abuse. This starts at home.

                                 The opposite side/end of the sunset from the other night, looking East.
  I think this was taken in an Alberta Provincial park from when my sister and I took a trip 2 years ago.

1 comment:

Robyn said...

Good post! Well said and I agree with you.

A Little Catch Up & A Small Rant(and a Surprise!)

Howdy! Well, as my aunt says, "I'm so far behind, I'm ahead", so I think I will take a page from her play book and just st...