Sunday, September 2, 2018

Self Care

Self Care has been a bit of buzz word (or two buzz words??) in the last few years. I have never been one to be super busy. I mean, I can, and I have been busy, but I don't like to be constantly busy. It isn't good for my health, brain, or sanity. There are a lot of things that people do for/as their self care. I think pretty much everything people do is for their self care. Even work (to some extent). Here are a few of the things that I love (and NEED) to do for myself, and my sanity for/as my self care.

1) Sleep

Oh, how I love sleep. And I NEED it! I wish I could only survive on an hour of sleep a night, but alas, I am a normal human who needs at least 8 or 10 a night. Even though I would love a baby, I think the hardest part would be lack of sleep. I NEED it! So, I try to sleep in as much as I can. I have been having issues with not sleeping well later, and this makes me sad. But, at least I can have naps :)

2) Being Alone (Reading/TV/Movies)

I need this so, so much. This can be time alone in our room, or out and about. I love to go to the park yard, or beach, read, or grab a coffee, and sit and journal (more on that later), or blog. Or read. Ha! I love going to the library. I think I like that more than going for coffee, as I don't have to buy anything! This restores my soul enough that I can like people again. This can also include driving. Sometimes, I will just go for a short drive, and I will end up in/at a park, and sit in the car for bit. I love reading (magazines, and I am trying a new thing called books!), watching TV/movies is another thing. I love having the tv on in the background and either reading magazines, or being on my laptop. I love reading celebrity magazines, b/c it is something so relaxing (I know, it is weird) about it. I think I like reading magazines b/c it feels like I have accomplished something. But, I also love reading books. Speaking of which, I am still need to finish one that I started weeks ago. Sigh. This can also include wandering around the mall, or stores like Shopper's Drug Mart (makeup, magazines), or even the grocery store!

3) Girl Time/Family Time

Although I love being on my own, I love me some girl time. I love going for coffee with friends, going to my friends' houses for tea/coffee, or going for meals. Sister and Mom times are the best times, though! I love times with my family and friends. They know and love me so much....even with my quirks. There is something about spending time with family....you can truly be yourself (well, most of the time!). There is nothing quite like going for drinks and meals with your sisters, friends, or mom/aunts/grandma's. I love that I can bare my soul to them, and I hope that they can bare they soul (s) to me! Also, along the same subject, spending time with ANY of my family (esp siblings) is pretty awesome for self care!

4 Bible/Prayer 

Ok, I will be honest, and I just now thought of this. Ha! I will also be super honest, and say that I don't do this nearly enough! One of things I want to improve on this year is getting my Spiritual life in order. I love me a Max Lucado book, so I want to try to read as many of his books as I can (or that the library has!), more as a devotional than anything else. I have a Bible App, and do you think I use it every day? No. I need to implement it more. I need to read more of the Bible, pray, and really soak in His word. I do feel relaxed when I am reading the Bible, and praying, and of course, worshipping Him, so shouldn't that be high on my (or anyone's) list? That, my friends, is true self care!!!


5) Exercise

Ok, this is also another thing that I am going to start working on. AGAIN! I really don't like working out, but I do love walking. I really enjoyed the sunset the other night while I was out for my walk. I want to try to get back into doing at least some exercise, at least every other day.



What do you do for your self care?

1 comment:

Robyn said...

Great blog post. I like pretty much all those things. Sleep, read, "escape" to go for a short drive, wander through a bookstore, face to face time with a good friend, listening to music, singing really loud with said music in the car, do something creative, exercise...Some things I do more than others and self care is very important. I also don't like being overly busy and there is that pressure, as a mom, to be overly busy and involved in everything, or to completely stop caring about yourself and focus 200% on the kid. Other moms will say you're "selfish" for taking time for yourself. I'm very blessed that Brandon makes it a point to let me "escape" for awhile so I can still "be a person", as I call it. Kids will grow and go out on their own, but I'm still me and still need to keep growing for myself, to be a better "me", closer to how God wants me to be, to be a better wife, and to be a better mom, or anything. :)

A Little Catch Up & A Small Rant(and a Surprise!)

Howdy! Well, as my aunt says, "I'm so far behind, I'm ahead", so I think I will take a page from her play book and just st...