Sunday, September 11, 2022

Thanksgiving 2021

 Uh well...yes, I am here :) I still haven't found my blogging "mojo", but just like walking, I am going to make myself do it...b/c...you know...I am so popular and all :)

 The day that I am writing this is American Thanksgiving, so I am wish all of my American friends (or people that live in the US), no matter where you are, a wonderful, safe, and happy Thanksgiving.

Actually, since we are 1/4 American (my grandpa was born in OK and came to Canada when he was 6 months or something), I figure that I should at least have pumpkin pie tonight :) 

So, yes, I have a lot to catch up on. First off, and I was going to post about this (and I may or. may not still talk about it on here), but I have gone out on my own, and I am pretty much, for lack of a better word, working for myself, and I LOVE IT!!! I love that I can make my own hours (I am NOT a morning person..hehe), and just "do my thing"; whether it is looking after the nephews or doing respite. I am totally at peace with where I am to be right now...I know that this is where I am supposed to be. My sister-in-law encouraged me to start thinking about going out on my own, and I finally listened (I know that that was God talking through her..sometimes, I just need a push, or something to wake up me up, you know?)! 

Anyway...my sister, Vienna, came back home on Furlough from the Philippines in early October, and after her two week quarantine (as of the end of the month, her vaccine, Sinovac will be approved in Canada, but back in October, it wasn't), my parents went to take out to Calgary to see family, friends, and to connect with the churches. She was BUSY while she was there! I don't think she really got a break...but she did amazing, and it was very successful. I went with my parents at the end of October to pick her up. Since the South way (through TCH) was closed due to construction (they only found this out on their way back from dropping her off...thus making it a 13 hour drive..which is normally an 8 or 9 hour drive); they asked me to drive up there, and we would go through National Parks. It was a lovely drive, and I had 3 really nice days. I hadn't been to Calgary in ages, and it was nice to be there. One interesting thing that happened while I was there, was that I somehow had issues with the altitude. I had a HORRIBLE time walking...even for me, it was bad. I was really scared that I was getting sick again, but when I got home, I was ablate walk normally, so the only thing I could figure, was that it was the altitude  I could barely walk...even in the mall. I noticed it as soon as I got out and walked. Due to picking up Vienna at a mall, we went there first...and as I am walking, I am freaking out, b/c it was so hard to walk. Anyway...all is fine now (I think) now that I am home.

While in Calgary, I visited friends, my gramma, family (my cousin and I had a coffee together), and of course, it was nice to see Vienna again :) We had a lovely trip back to BC, and since it was Halloween Weekend (I don't like being home on Halloween), and Vienna was presenting in our home church, I decided to stay over until Monday. It was wonderful to hang out and have "sleepovers" with her. We talked, walked, laughed, ate popcorn, chipped a tooth (yup!), and played with their Border Collie Puppy. Halloween evening, we watch some Big Bang Theory, Friends (Halloween eps), and the IT Crowd. Anyway...back to the chipped tooth..well, I was eating popcorn, and I bit down an uncooked kernel, and I thought I had just had a hull in my tooth...buuuuut...my mom looked at it, and she said that there was a big chip/crack. I might have cried. Anyway...I was able to get it fixed, with no drugs (I usually have to take sedatives before having any dental work done), as I went there for them to have a look at it, and they decided to do it right then and there. 

Ok, I guess I started on this last year, but I am still gonna keep it, b/c y'all know how I love to repeat myself...lol.

It is now September 2022, but I am going to continue where I left off from my last post.

As far as the real Canadian Thanksgiving Weekend in October, like I said before, Anker and I had a nice dinner at Adam and Krystle's while they were away. The Sunday of the long weekend, one of the families in our church (who have since moved to Mexico, which I might talk about that a bit and them in a later post), who had, for awhile had worship nights and Sunday dinners (I think that was once a month), in their home. The Sunday that they had scheduled for their open invitation for lunch ended up landing on Thanksgiving Sunday. I actually at first wasn't going to go, but I thought, "why not go", since we didn't have any other plans. I am so glad that I went! The food and company were wonderful, and it was great to connect with people in person again!

Btwn all of this, one of the parks in our city were building a new playground (funny this, I didn't know too much about it until it was about it open). It opened while the boys were out East, and I couldn't wait to take them after they got home. J calls it the "Big Park", and they both love it. There was a contest on the city's social media pages. All I had to do was post something (or someone) a photo of around the new playground. I don't post photos of any of my nieces and nephews on social media (it is VERY RARE if I do), so I just took a faraway pic of the playground; tagged #mymacpark, and posted it. Sure enough, I won. I won a set of mini-golf clubs :) It was pretty sweet :)

While I was looking at last November's events, I TOOOOTALLY forgot that I had had a sleepover at the ranch with Vienna, on the first weekend in November. :) See? It pays to write down things in one's calendar, and then go back and look it when needed :) Ha! It was also that weekend that we decided that that was the wknd that we would celebrate J's bday. For MONTHS prior, J had been insisting that he have his birthday at the ranch. We aren't sure what started that thought. Anyway, we had a lovely time celebrating his birthday - Paw Patrol - Style-! Mom did a fantastic job of making his cake. I took it upon myself to bring said PP decorations! Anyway, due to Vienna having her q-tine, and then her going to Calgary, our family decided to move Thanksgiving to November. Our brother and his family came up from the Island, and we all had the best time!!! We ate, went for walks, visited, ate again, played with the kids, etc. Anker was very involved with visiting and hanging with the kids. It was great seeing the cousins play together. L and A left Sunday morning before Church, and the day was clear and beautiful. Sadly, it didn't last. About 3 or so hours after they left; it started to rain in and around the province. Hard. Very, very hard! Poor L and A barely made it home before all 3 of the routes to the coast (and where a lot of our items-food, etc-come from) were closed off, due to the floods! Suffice it to say, that the next few weeks here in B.C were a bit of a stressful time. People were hoard buying-AGAIN!-, btwn the floods and the barges that were waiting MONTHS in the Vancouver and Halifax harbours-it was awhile before we all saw the shelves in the stores full again (actually, there are still supply and items shortages). We are so happy that Luke and the family got home safe. There were people that I knew that actually had to sleep in their cars on the highway. We are all so thankful that they arrived safe (albeit late!) and sound. We were talking about that in May when they were here (again, I will talk about that in another post), and I had totally forgotten that they were stuck in the mess; but surprisingly, all of their girls did great during that crazy time...I think they said that the littlest one slept nearly the whole time!

I think Vienna and I were enjoying a Starbucks drink here. Mom made this great cake for J.
                                            I think this was from our Fakesgiving Weekend.


No comments:

A Little Catch Up & A Small Rant(and a Surprise!)

Howdy! Well, as my aunt says, "I'm so far behind, I'm ahead", so I think I will take a page from her play book and just st...