Saturday, June 8, 2019

Big Little Science Centre

Before we went on our Easter Break, a couple of classes went to the Big Little Science Centre for a field trip. We were doing a segment on water, and they have a good water information/experimentation program, and we also wandered around the general Hands On rooms, as well as there are several exhibits (like you would find at a museum) that "visits" throughout the year. I had only really been there once for a Mining and Gem show, but I hadn't actually toured it, so it was really fun to spend time there. The day was perfect for walking, and we also had a picnic before we went in, so it was a fun, but busy day!

There are two main "Hands On" Rooms (it is in a former school, so it has a very "school-like" feel to it), and that is in the former gym. The kids had fun playing and experimenting with stuff. There was everything from a magic table that makes you look like you are cut in half, to rocks, minerals, and fun puzzles to put together, and an eagle that you can balance on your finger! I think there are probably 50-100 (ok, maybe not 100) different "experiments" that anyone can do and play with. A half hour on each "side" wasn't near enough (at least not for me!), as I could have probably spent a good hour looking at everything! I don't know if they change their hands on activities through the year or not. I am assuming probably some things stay the same, and some things get changed around. Afterwards, we went to the water section of the tour. It was ok, but I was a bit disappointed, to be honest, on how few experiments we got to do in (about) water. I wish it was a bit more interesting for the kids, but at least I think they got some knowledge out of it :) The water section was about a half hour, and like I said, I wish that we could have done some more water-related experiments (and would have gotten some more info), but I would definitely go back (if just for the Hands On Room!), and I might even take my nephews there this summer!

Btwn the half hour walk there and back, picnic, bathroom breaks, and the two separate part of the tours, it definitely took a good part of the school day! I will post pictures here, but again, head on over to my IG/FB accounts for more (I took way more, but I didn't end up posting them, as there was a lot of pretty much the same thing).


                                                   I loved the Hands On Room!!!
This was too cool!!!

A Little Catch Up & A Small Rant(and a Surprise!)

Howdy! Well, as my aunt says, "I'm so far behind, I'm ahead", so I think I will take a page from her play book and just st...