Thursday, November 1, 2018

Salmon Run 2018

This is almost a month late, but here it is :) Just before the Thanksgiving Weekend, on Oct 3, some of our school went on the Fall Salmon Run. I think I had only been once, and that was when I was probably about 9 or 10, so I was really excited to go! We left the school on a school bus at around 9:30, and got back at 2:30, so it was a fun-filled day! I am going to post a few here, b/c most of them are on my FB, and/or IG :) Every 4 years, it is a "dominant year", so BC Parks does school tours, charges a bit to get in, bring in some vendors, and puts out lots of literature on it. It was HUGE, and I wish I could have gone again with adults, so I could have spent more time looking at each vendor, and talking with the park people about it. We went to the Roderick Haig-Brown Provincial Park, which is near Salmon Arm (about an hour's drive from here), but I know there are other places to see it. The day we went was a bit cool, so I dressed warm! It ended up being a wonderful day, though, and I am glad it wasn't any warmer (it was really warm when we left), or we would have gotten hot.

We got there at around 10:30, and had our snack, and then we set off to find the salmon. We were a tad disappointed that it wasn't as much as we thought would be there (normally, the water is "red" with salmon), but we were still able to see a fair amount. The kids thought it was really fun, and interesting. I loved that there were park people (I don't think they were Conservation Officers) along the river that held up fish signs, indicating that we could ask them questions :) It was really interesting! Then, we sat and had our lunch on some rocks on the river. After we walked back (it was a fairly good walk), we got ready for our 1st of two info sessions. The first was looking at a directed salmon, which was super interesting (and gross!), and the next session was about our forests, which I found less interesting. After both sessions (which were about 15 minutes each), we boarded the bus and headed back! We were all SUPER tired when we got back! We all slept well that night!!!

                                                         Here, fishy, fishy!
                                                    Love on how red they are!
                                           We could see them a bit better in the back water.
                    They had a lot of vendors! And yes, that is a Mini Donut truck in the background!
                        They did a great job with the students! They were really organized!
The info sessions were in little tents. There also about 50000 other people (students, tourists) there!

If you haven't been, I would highly encourage you to go. It is over for this year, but try to go next year!!! I just saw this site...go and check it out! Adam's River Salmon Society has some great information about the salmon and their journey (also, I may or may not have just found it this minute!).

No comments:

A Little Catch Up & A Small Rant(and a Surprise!)

Howdy! Well, as my aunt says, "I'm so far behind, I'm ahead", so I think I will take a page from her play book and just st...