Monday, November 26, 2018

We are Family

I **still** have a few posts that should get out..and no, I didn't do them this weekend! I was busying doing, well, not a whole lot..ha!

I just wanted to take a moment to talk about something I know I take for granted..a lot! That is the wonderful (well, most of the time!) relationship that our family has. Now, please know, that we are not perfect. We fight, we hurt each other, things get miscommunicated, we might ignore each other for awhile...we get upset with each other...BUT...we always forgive and go back to one another. Just an FYI: I am talking about my side of the family (immediate, extended, and I am talking about both my mom's and dad's side..with us, and with each other). Anker's parents are no longer around, and his  one sister (who is very different, but we do connect with) lives in the Island, and his other sister lives in the States.

The reason that I got thinking about this, was that I have just finished reading a book by Danielle Steel, called The Award, where the daughter was the most despicable person around, and was bitter towards her mom and about her life in general until the very end. I was thinking on what a wonderful relationship that I have with my mom.

Just a quick backstory: My dad is a 3rd generation sheep rancher, as well as a pastor of our local village church (no, it's not a Hallmark town, sadly...lol). My family also home-educated us (we older kids went to school for a few years, then younger kids have never been to school), and there are 7 of us kids. There are 3 older kids (I am the oldest), and then there is an almost 8 year gap between the older set and the younger set. Anyway, all that togetherness (along with my grandparents-who are dead now-and my two aunts-followed by two uncles) could have caused A LOT of issues...and while it has and does, we always end up talking things out, and loving each other again.

When I hear of families who don't talk, or who are estranged, it really does break my heart. I cannot fathom it, actually. Yah, they drive me nuts, and they are annoying, and there are things about them that we can't stand, or that we wish we could change...but guess what...they are our family!!! They are the only family we will ever have! Yes, there is my work/church family, and they are awesome....and yes, they have sometimes taken the place of my family-family, and they should at times. Our family-family isn't (and can't) always be there for us, and help us out when we needed. But, there is A LOT to be said for having a wonderful relationship with our family-family; our siblings (who are our first friends), our cousins (also, one of our first friends), aunts, uncles, grandparents, not to mention, our parents :)

I am just happy, proud, honoured and blessed to call my family my friends!!!


1 comment:

Robyn said...

That’s wonderful! 😊 I’m glad that overall you all get on together so well. My mom and I have always been quite close so it boggles my mind when others say otherwise about their moms. I wish I grew up closer to all my aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandparents, but alas so far away.

A Little Catch Up & A Small Rant(and a Surprise!)

Howdy! Well, as my aunt says, "I'm so far behind, I'm ahead", so I think I will take a page from her play book and just st...