Saturday, April 20, 2019

The Only Safe Place Is in the Arms of Jesus

I have a few posts that need to get written and published, as I have had for awhile now, but I wanted to talk about something that happened on Sunday. I am even hesitant to do this, as it "highlights" the evil, but I wanted to talk about it, b/c that his on how I (sometimes) process things, but also to remind us all that NO ONE and NO PLACE is immune to violence.

We think of homes, churches (places of worship), and schools as safe places. We go to work, drop off our kids at school, go to our places of worship, and live out our lives in the comfort of our homes. We often take everyday life for granted.

Last Sunday, in a town a couple of hours East of here, a lone gunman walked into a church where my Sister-in-law's dad was preaching (I found this part out later in the day), and shot and killed one person, and injured another. For more on the story, you can read it here. This hit too close to home for a couple of reasons; first it in our backyard (not literally), second, it was in a small church, 3, my extended family/friends were involved, and 4thly, the man who died was a friend of my coworker. I know that church shootings are nothing new (sadly), and I am sure that this has happened in Canada before, but to have it happen so close it home makes it more "real". I won't say more about it b/c I don't really think it matters (again, if you want to read more about it, go to the like above), and I don't even want to give the shooter the time in the spotlight.

To say that we were all shocked is a bit of an understatement. It just reminds me that the end is near, and the world is crumbling all around us. It actually terrifies me, and makes me sad. I cannot wait to get to Heaven, and to leave this weary world. I was talking to my friend (wife of the pastor who was preaching), and she said what I felt was very simple, but profound..."Nowhere is safe, except in the arms of Jesus". I am so thankful that there is a heaven, and I am so thankful for Jesus. He is the only good, faithful and constant "thing" (or "force) in this world.

My friend also said this the other day, and I wanted to share it with you, as her words are so profound, and she said it so well (but first a back story): she, along with everyone else, fled the scene, and her shoe fell off as she was running to/for safety.

Here is what she said about the shoe, and about her thoughts on what happened (and yes, she said I could share it on/in my blog). 

This shoe will forever serve as a visual reminder of fleeing the church for safety. I ended up losing one in the process of running, and it is now part of the crime scene. So as I look at this remaining shoe, many thoughts race in my mind. I remember the awful moments, but I cling to and dwell on the beautiful ones. The people in my church are strong. So strong. The people in my church are loving and forgiving. They are beautiful Christian people. Everyone worked together and helped each other out. Selfless, brave, and full of love. The world wants to focus on the evil. I want to focus on the good. The goodness of those who survived, those who helped the wounded, those who prayed for the broken hearted, those who have encouraged and listened to the retelling of the day many times over. I have been comforted by many. It will take time to heal, grieve, and work through this tragedy. It will be hard, but I'm so thankful that I have friends and family that love and support me. Thank you all for your prayers. We need them. I will look at this shoe and be grateful that it wasn't worse, that many people were spared, and that I get to walk in this shoe today.

I am thankful for Jesus, and thankful that He spared my friends (my SILs parents!).


1 comment:

Robyn said...

Very scary and glad that it wasn't worse with more people hurt, but it's bad enough as it is. Very true that the arms of Jesus is the only place we're truly safe and it's important to "look for the helpers" as Mr. Rogers once said.

A Little Catch Up & A Small Rant(and a Surprise!)

Howdy! Well, as my aunt says, "I'm so far behind, I'm ahead", so I think I will take a page from her play book and just st...