Saturday, April 20, 2019

A Life Well Lived

This is one of the many posts that are waiting to be written and posted! What can I say? I always think that I will blog after work, or on the weekend, but I never do! Ha! I don't know what happens to my days....nearly every day after work, I was busy (and I can't even remember what or why!), and we are going to my parents' on Saturday (tomorrow).

On March 9, 2019, my grandpa (my mom's dad) went to be with Jesus. He was 93 years old, and he had lived a wonderful life. I loved my grandpa, and it pained me to see him the last few times, as I will always remember him being is full of energy (and sometimes, a force to to be reckoned with!)! He was always talking, doing, or baking/cooking! He was an artist (leather, painting), a repair/handyman, a preacher, a father, grandfather, great-grandfather, husband and friend. His pancakes and bread were legendary (he had pretty much everything in them, which would sometimes make them very dense!); he taught my grandma to make a pie crust. He was usually always the first up; he would make the coffee (oh, how he loved his coffee!), and be singing (LOUDLY!) when we would wake up. He loved and lived Jesus with his whole heart and mind. He wasn't perfect, as no one is...but he was such a wonderful force of energy and love, with a hint of spice! He loved a good argument/debate (especially if it was about Christianity...he and my dad's mom, got into some real interesting talks, I have been told!), and he and grandma were always bickering in a friendly way. He loved playing card games (which was hilarious, since Mom said that they weren't allowed to have cards in their house while they were growing up!), and he loved checkers, and wrestling or chasing we kids. He loved his grand and great grandkids! He always had treats (or something!) for us. I loved spending time with him. He always ended our time with a prayer, and usually some Bible reading! He and Grandma prayed for each of their kids, grandkids, and grandkids (usually by name), every night. He and Grandma were always kissing and holding hands....his eyes would light up when Marji (as he would call her!) come to see him. He and Grandma served in the ministry (a pastor/preacher, and a camp manager) Western Canada for 50 years together. They were together for nearly 62 years! He was a father to 4, and a grandfather to 15, and a great grandpa to 17 (including two on the way!).

He had been suffering from dementia for the last couple of years, but other than, prior to an infection, he really hadn't been that sick. He had been in the nursing home the last couple of years, and Grandma had moved to the complex (on the other side of the nursing home) a few months after he had moved there. He started going downhill about 3 years ago, after he had sustained a fall in the backyard of their house, and since then, he started showing signs of dementia, as well as being very unsteady. and not walking as well (walking with a walker). He actually had had a fall a couple of years before that, while on their way to BC to visit their girls, and their families. Instead, he spent half of it at/in the hospital in town. To me, that is when he started going downhill, but it got worse after the fall 3 years ago. I had seen him last Spring Break, and and last summer, and I actually got to talk to him the day he died. I couldn't bring myself to say goodbye; I only told him that I loved him.

I didn't cry when I found out that he was going to die (from the day they told us he was very, very ill, to the day he died was a week), or when he died, but I was very sad. He always said that he was ready, and wanting to go to Heaven, since he was in in 50's. He never feared death.

I was blessed that I was able to go to his funeral in the middle of March. I ended up having/taking my Spring Break early, due to my going out to Calgary. Mom, Dad, Isaac, and H (nephew) and I all piled in the Yukon, and drove to Calgary. The trip itself was great. Mom worked on the eulogy, so we talked a lot of about Grandpa, which was fun. H was an amazing traveller! He had NO SCREEN TIME at all! He doesn't even own an iPad, phone, or laptop. We did bring a DVD player, but it didn't work. He didn't complain at all! We had a lunch and snacks on the way, and other than a hold up for avalanche control in Field, BC (a real plane, look it up!), all went well, and the roads were great.

Luke and Amanda and girls came, and Adam flew in for the day. I think out of all 15 grandkids, 10 of us were there! It was great to see everyone, and we in all honesty had a party! The funeral was lovely, and all we kids said something. I was the only girl (V and I are their only granddaughters, which we always find hilarious.....I was the only/"favourite" granddaughter for nearly 16 years!), and the shortest....yes, very sad. The church even lived streamed it, which was fun. Anker got to watch, which I thought was very sweet. After the funeral, we had a reception, and then we family had a dinner at the church. We stayed until 9, and all came home tired, but happy that it was over. We visited, and relaxed until we went to bed. We ended up staying an extra day, so we were able to have some time to spend with family. Grandpa's brother, Joe, and his wife and family came for a few hours, which was nice. We had a nice lunch together, with lots of discussion with and between others. I went to supper with my cousin, and then came home around 7:30, and played on my phone for a few hours, until it was time to go to bed. A friend offered us her house, while she was away, which was perfect! It was nice a have a house to ourselves, where we could entertain and relax. We left at around 9 on Saturday morning. The trip back was lovely, and I napped, and we had exciting conversations (as we alway do in the car...no screen time for us!). I was thankful that my work allowed me to get away (my job is awesome like that..for real!), and thankful that I was able to spend time with family. I took a ton of pics, and so if you want to see them, go to my IG or FB :)


 I think the above photo was taking last Spring. We are SO GLAD that we were able to spend time with him. His words were weak, and he was failing, but he enjoyed seeing us; he loved the grand/great grandchildren so, so much! There was always a smile on his face when one of us would come and visit!
 Aren't these pictures a riot??? The top is when they lived in Vernon (love the couch, and yes, my parents got it when my g-rents moved!...It was so lovely..NOT!), and I was probably around 2 or 3 here. The bottom is me at around the same age (maybe a bit younger?) at our house.
I love you, Grandpa. Thank you for your service...to your family, to the Lord, and to our country (he was in the Navy....he didn't see any combat, as he was stationed in Esquimalt, but he was in the Navy all the same). You will never be forgotten. Thank you for your legacy that you left on this earth, through your children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren.Well done, Good and Faithful Servant. Your life was well-lived. See on the other side in Glory!

1 comment:

Robyn said...

Your Grandpa sounds like he truly was a great man and of faith and quality. What a legacy he's left for your family and I think he got a "Well done my good and faithful Servant" from the Savior.

A Little Catch Up & A Small Rant(and a Surprise!)

Howdy! Well, as my aunt says, "I'm so far behind, I'm ahead", so I think I will take a page from her play book and just st...