Thursday, June 4, 2020

Let's Stop Being Perfect!

No one's life is perfect, no matter what they post on Social Media. It may be perfect while they are posting (which is awesome), but their life isn't 100% perfect-happy-happy-joy-joy all the time, and if they say that it is, then they are lying :) I wish people would be more real and raw on Social Media; not complaining about their life, but more "normal" and "relatable". One thing that really bugs me about Social Media is how people appear that they have it all together' their house is perfect, their marriage is perfect, their children are the best kids ever; they are living their best life! And yes....I am not saying to not be content...I am saying that people need to be more real and honest in their posts.

Yes, it is important to be thankful, and to be content, but I get so tired seeing people's "picture perfect" posts! People need to see the "behind the scenes" of others' posts. They need to see the messy kitchen, the crying kids, the infertile woman, who 90% of the time is content with her life, but 10% of the time, her heart and arms ache to hold a child, the bad fight with your spouse (and again, I am not saying to air your "dirty laundry" out for all the world to see. I mean, you have to be considerate of your family's privacy), the misunderstanding with you siblings; the 10 days in row that you didn't get dressed or put on make up (but let's hope that you showered!). I think you get the general idea :)


I think for the most part, people are generally being more real, open and honest with their postings, and that is awesome! And there is nothing wrong with posting pictures about "living our best life", heck, I do it ALLLL the time, but I am also real and honest! ***this first part was done on our around May 13th, and I totally forgot about it!! I don't remember what the idea was behind this blog post, but I am going to finish it, anyway, b/c, let's face it...life is far from perfect right now!!) I think there is a fine line (or maybe not such a fine line) between being real, and painting that rosy picture! I do find that there are people on IG/FB/Blogs who are complainers, and/or who are always reflecting (which isn't a bad thing), or who are like to post "downer" photos. And that is totally ok! "You do you" is the new-ish saying that has been floating around the last few years. We need people in the world who are "more real, honest, and open"; someone to knock the rest of us down to earth.


Yes, it is important to share the highs of our day, but it is also important to share the lows. It is ok to share the "perfectly imperfect" parts of our kid, ourselves, our spouse, our lives, etc. Not everyone is an online influencer; gets all their stuff they show us for free (or partners up, or gets $, etc). Not everyone can afford to go on nice holidays. Not everyone can afford nice and new things (though these things are not bad). Not everyone has nice hair, makeup, and great fashion sense. No, your house isn't clean 100% of the time. Not every house looks like Martha Stewart decorated it. Not every meal looks like it was made by a famous chef. Laundry piles up. The kids argue and quarrel, the family pet has most likely peed and or vomited over the living room floor. You really hate being alone with the kids for the 10th weekend in a row while you S/O is out working, playing, etc. There will be meals where it is just popcorn and oranges, and that is ok! You might not have cleaned up your kitchen in a few days; you really don't know where (or if) you will go for/to/on vacation this summer (let's face it, MOST of us won't be going ANYWHERE this summer!!); but the local motel sounds lovely right now. I think you the idea. STOP.BEING.SO.PERFECT (oh, come on...you said it in the VeggieTale voice!!!)!!!! Give yourselves (and the people scrolling through their Social Media feeds) a break!!!




3 comments:

terbez72 said...

can't read this - it's all black

Robyn said...

I can read it now. :) I agree with you, except of course being careful what is said with the spouse. Yeah, we don't have to always post them being "perfect"and "so in love", which is unrealistic, but careful with posts that may come across as shaming them or bashing. Lots of fellow women friends can tend to jump on those posts and add fuel to the fire with "well, HE shouldn't be doing THAT to YOU" and can cause division and more discontent in the marriage. I don't think you really meant it like that, but I've seen unhappy wives get petty and post mean things about their husbands on purpose to shame him and that caused more damage.

terbez72 said...

I find that SM can be divided into 2 camps - the braggers and the bitchers. One of my friends said a smart thing a few weeks ago: "feelings do not belong on Facebook", and I agree! No one wants to hear your complaints about your life, job, spouse kids etc. we just don't! The world is depressing enough as it is. Also, most of these ppl have to realize that we also know them in real life! We KNOW your life isn't what you make it seem to others, and I will 100% call you out if you are lying. On the other side of the coin, of course we care about our friends, and if they are going through a rough time then by all means support them, and the best way to do that is IN PERSON, not because it makes you look good on the internet.

A Little Catch Up & A Small Rant(and a Surprise!)

Howdy! Well, as my aunt says, "I'm so far behind, I'm ahead", so I think I will take a page from her play book and just st...