Thursday, June 4, 2020

CoVid/Corona, Crashes, Construction, Carnage, Coffee, Car Repairs, Crisis, Carpet, & Caring

This is basically an update of/from the last 3 months! I have no idea why I didn't blog while I was off work. It's not like I didn't have the time, nor did I have many places to go! I tended to watch A LOT of TV, spend time on my phone, read, etc.

To say that 2020 has been a trying/different/difficult year is an understatement! We aren't even half way through the year, and the world has experienced fires, volcanoes, flooding, earthquakes, a pandemic, racial injustice, mass shootings in (including one in NS), and a host of other things that I probably don't even know about!

**I want to take this time right now to publicly thank all of the Essential Workers (or as Google Doodle called them; "Corona Virus Helpers"). You are doing such an amazing job (every day, not just during this crisis)! You are amazing, wonderful and beautiful people! Thank you also to those who helped entertain us online; comedians, artists, story time readers; musicians; places who gave us free virtual tours; worship leaders; pastors, people who gave free classes and courses...the list goes on!!! THANK YOU!!!**

**Thank you to those who have kept us entertained by singing songs, making us laugh, showing the world good and kind people are. Thank you to those who have shown love and kindness during this time. Thank you to the GOOD news makers; for bringing us fun, uplifting and inspiring stories**

Kamloops has endured CoVid, a Snowbird Air crash, possible flooding (we usually see a little bit of flooding every June), construction (heck, we are ALWAYS under construction, it seems!), and our own issues that a city our size has. Our local university is having to lay off people, all of the usual large outdoor events have been cancelled; most events (running, kids' camps, etc) in the city have been cancelled, and pools have closed. A lot of places have reopened, which is awesome. My dear library, however, still hasn't opened its doors. However, they have started a takeout service (which, IMHO should have been happening the entire time, but whatever), which allows you to take your items back, and pick up holds :) The school have reopened, some churches are back in the building, salons and gyms have reopened, and some restaurants are back to inside dining (with half capacity).

Anker and I have personally endured, Covid, major car repairs, a water tank leak, and, well, I think that's all! With CoVid, I was out of work for a few weeks (including Spring Break), and then I wasn't getting enough hours to really sustain my being full time, and the is when CERB became available, so I ended up applying to/for that. The Snowbird crash happened a few minutes from our house; we had watched the show the day before, which made everything all the more real (and scary!). One man was injured, and the PA Coordinator who was in the cockpit with him died. The whole thing was so sad :( I loved that our community came together (as we always do), and held onto, leaned on one another. Anker and I heard the bang, right before the plane went down, and a few minutes later, Anker yelled out that a plane went down. We all came outside to see what was going on, and then we heard sirens. The next day, we found out the the PA had died, and I think the day after that, the Memorial started at the airport.

Last week was a week for the record books! A couple of weeks ago, we noticed that our floor (even though I said carpeting, we only have laminate in our house, but "carpeting" sounded cool with all the "c" words in the title!) was wet. We found out that our hot water tank had been leaking; for how long, we weren't really sure. To make a long story short, we ended up having to pack up 70% of our house; our landlord is renting us a Go Box for a month for some of our stuff go in, and live around MULTIPLE PILES of STUFF for a few days. We came back from running errands last Thursday, and discovered that our place smelled so bad, that we couldn't stay the night, so we stayed at a local hotel, which was really nice! We stayed at the Signature Sandman, and we got a super awesome deal, b/c I told them why we needed to stay (and also, let's face it, they probably could have used the business!).  We couldn't use the pool (we didn't even think of it until after we left), due to obvious reasons, but I would love to try it out sometime. I would definitely recommend them, and would love to spend another night (or more!) there! I took last Friday off, as we were also dealing with our car; and we were trying to get fixed up. I took our car in, not once, 4 times, due to lights coming on! With everything going on, I just needed the morning to concentrate on things that needed to get done. It was nice to have the morning to relax, and get the car fixed, and not have to worry about my getting to work, etc. We left to my parents' last Friday evening, and we had a great time! It was nice to get out of town for a couple of days. We came home to a new floor! We really love it!!! We have spent this week SLOWLY unpacking boxes, and putting stuff away. We also bought a new small coffee table, as the one that we had was too huge for what we wanted it for. We also bought a small cabinet to use as a pantry, as the one we he got damaged. We will be on the look out for a work bench/desk for Anker; more shelves, and probably another small closet for linens.

Learned new words and phrases like Covid, Flatten the Curve, Stay Home, Social Distancing, Self-Isolation (or shelter-in-place), Canada Stays Home, Canada Together & Lockdown.
Learned how to teach/help my teacher from home
Sat in on meetings via online
I watched movies and spent time with Emily.
I had dinner with friends (my girls group and also our Ladies Bible Study)
We stayed in a hotel for 1 night.
Went back to work (part time).
I spent time with my brother and his family.
I spent time with family at the ranch.
I had a week alone at the house.
Two neighbours moved out, and 2 new ones moved in.
We put up the A/C in our house.
Visited with friends (virtual and IRL) a few times.
Survived 2 months with only 1 coffee from Starbucks.
Tried to get into several Netflix series, but I couldn't stick to one, no matter how much I liked it (I tried Tiger King, Kim's Convenience, and Brooklyn 99).
I watched a lot of (Hallmark) movies.
Slept in. A lot.
I started in on a few new shows (I am starting to watch YR after not watching it for 2 yrs).
Read some books, and a lot of magazines.
Learned and saw "The Blessing" take the world by storm.
Cleaned/reorganized parts of our house.
Sat outside and enjoyed the yard and sun.
Went on a few walks.
Baked and cooked various goodies/meals (including doughnuts!).
Tried out two new Meal kit services (I hope to do a review of both of them soon).
Waiting on a new niece to arrive any day now.
Face timed with family.
I tried various versions iced tea different kinds of fruit tea (including Tipsy Tea).
I became addicted to iced tea (no sugar, thankyouverymuch!).
I did some fairy wine dusting.
I got one dusting done to/for me.
My nephew turned 9, one niece turned 1, & another niece turned 3.
Enjoyed church from home.
Tried Whipped Coffee.
Went on a few daytes with Anker.
Experiencing a bit of a midlife crisis.
Organized my tea cupboard and junk drawer.
Figured out that I can move the screen on my laptop by using my mouse pad on said laptop.
Got a bunch of free magazines from my friend.
Anker planted the garden, which I watched; we also cleaned up our yard.
A lot people I knew died during this time (not from the disease, but from other things).
Celebrated Easter from home.
Found a couple of funny people and a dog to follow on the socials :)
Bought stuff.
We threw stuff away.
Anker got my dad's 1952 tractor going.
Tried to cure a health issue, but it came back.
Found out that the highest number is Centillion.
Missed my family. A lot (this was before I visited with them).
Enjoyed my garden lights in our yard in the evenings.
Got bit by mosquitoes.
Made paper hearts to put in our window.
Put Canadian Flags in our window.
Took a handmade heart, to at the Memorial to/for the Snowbirds.
"Visited" around the globe; did some online tours of various places.
Saw/read wonderful things that happened around the world.
Even though I didn't see them; I know there were A LOT of classes, workouts, courses, concerts, tours, plays, movies online (most of them were FREE)!
Relied on the LORD...A LOT.
Had wonderful things happen to/for us!
I changed my IG handle.
I unfollowed accounts on IG, and I also unfollowed a few blogs.
I did a lot of IG-ing, but then I would take a few days' break.
I am, however, in a kajillion groups on FB.
Visited our local Ice Cream Parlour for the first time this season.
I had some blood work done.
Went to (via phone) and made appointments that got postponed due to Covid.
Went on drives (and sat in the car).
Did things for others.
I started on a billion Bible Plans.
We didn't run out of TP, hand sanitizer and wipes.
My sister started up her organization in the Philippines.
Plus more things that I don't remember, or that are too boring to talk about.

SO, even though we haven't been doing a lot, we have been BUSY!!! I can't believe that I was off work for 11 weeks! It has been nice being back to work; even if it for 2.5 hours a day (the kids I support are at home, and the kids who are there are only at school for the morning). It gets me up and out in the morning, and I get to see my friends, and of course, the kids! I am glad that the world has come back to some sense of "normalcy", and I am thankful that even through these hard times, that we can lean on Jesus; and not fear. It hasn't been easy, and as the world still (as it always does) goes through perilous times, I am thankful that HE is control of ALL things! Life is hard. It's messy. It's not fun. It isn't fair sometimes. I don't why God allows social injustice, natural disasters, violence and all other bad things happen (well, I know that it is because of sin and man's free will), but I DO know that HE can and will make all things new, and HE will turn mourning into dancing!! What the devil means for bad, God can turn to good.  I am not saying this tritely; I know a lot of people have a way harder life than I will ever know, but I also know that I have had times in my life where it is has been really hard; times where I can't see the end of the tunnel. God has always come through; even at the very end. All I can say is; HE is in the midst of EVERYTHING!!! He can use ALL THINGS for HIS GLORY! Whatever you (or the world) are going through, you name it, God can use it (and you!) to and for HIs GLORY!

Let's hope the last half of 2020 is better than the first half!!!


If you want to see ALLLL the photos from the last few weeks, go to my FB or Instagram to check them out. You can follow my sister Vienna and her blog here.


1 comment:

Robyn said...

It has been a crazy few months! Glad ya’ll are okay.

A Little Catch Up & A Small Rant(and a Surprise!)

Howdy! Well, as my aunt says, "I'm so far behind, I'm ahead", so I think I will take a page from her play book and just st...