Sunday, July 19, 2020

Yes, (Sometimes) This Is All There Is

World Traveller. Singer. Artist. Missionary. Working in orphanages. Changing lives. Building an empire. Doing "big things". We want (and should!) to strive to do great and big things! And that's ok! We SHOULD have dreams, and want to do big, and glorious things! We can have and do wonderful things right in our neighbourhood, church, work, school, and clubs. We don't HAVE to go all over the world to volunteer, bring Jesus, or help others. We can do it right where we are; where we live; and where we live. 

Although God didn't call us to live "ordinary lives"; He did call us to live "extraordinary lives" where He wants us. Sometimes we (including myself) think that we are only living extraordinary lives when we are in Africa, or in Asia; helping kids; doing missions, or even working (such as in a school, or at company), and well that is certainly true, that isn't necessarily the only thing. Life isn't all about going all over the world; moving across (or up North!) country. It is about the day in and day out of every normal (and not so normal!) day! My life isn't more or less boring that a mom with 5 young kids. My mom's life on the ranch with her garden, ministry work, and her Coaching Business isn't less or more important than my sister's, who is in Asia, helping women and children who have been trafficked. 

Social media doesn't help matters. We see the people doing "all the things"; whether they are across the world, or in some "big" and "important' job. We tend to lose focus on what we "should" (or "shouldn't) be doing. We see people living out their "important" lives, and wonder, "what I am doing with my life", and "is this all there is?". I am here to tell you that, yes, sometimes, this is all there is. And that's ok! We can live out our best life right where we are. We can do big and important things right where we are. We don't have to go anywhere, or be anyone. God can use YOU TODAY! Come as you are; leave better!

It is ok that you are "just" a mom; you can minister just where you are. It is ok that you are "just" a teacher in an ordinary run of the mill school. You can minister just where you are! Change the world you live in (around you), don't try to the change the world (I am not sure if I just made that up, or if I saw that somewhere....but man, that sounds good!)! It doesn't matter whether you are a nurse, doctor, janitor, a pastor; you can serve your community and God no matter how "ordinary" your  life is. You don't need to move to Africa or across your country to have an "adventure"; you can have one in your own backyard; no travel or passport required!


1 comment:

Robyn said...

Yes! All of this! It took until my mid/late 20’s to realize these truths. We all have our important roles. Not everyone is called to lead what appears to be the dramatic, “super-spiritual” lives and we’re somehow have less faith or whatever because we’re not doing the same.

A Little Catch Up & A Small Rant(and a Surprise!)

Howdy! Well, as my aunt says, "I'm so far behind, I'm ahead", so I think I will take a page from her play book and just st...